Zookeeper, mail # user - ZK ensemble resused or dedicated?

RE: ZK ensemble resused or dedicated?
Hoggarth, Gil 2013-10-28, 13:00
"being unable to manipulate" is more an issue of my skills rather than anything else. Up to now we'd always used dedicated ZK ensembles, but it seemed sensible to reuse the formal, production ensemble (which previously only managed one service). Then I realised the numShards mistake had been made, and I didn't like the look of using zkCli to fix it as I'd never used it before (never had a reason to before either).

I'm assuming the way you'd 'manipulate one thing without changing others' is via zkCli, yes? Any suggestions of good tutorials to its use? I can set up a dev scenario so I can test and learn, but I'm unaware of how to use it. (Or would you recommend something else? If so, what?)

Many thanks for your comments - all help very gratefully received.
Gil

-----Original Message-----
From: Ted Dunning [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 28 October 2013 12:10
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ZK ensemble resused or dedicated?

For production settings with well-behaved applications, sharing is not a bad idea.  I would definitely isolate development efforts onto a dev instance of ZK.  And if you have trigger happy admins who think rebooting fixes all ills, I would consider separating apps.

How is it that you wound up with your problem of being unable to manipulate one thing without changing others?