Kafka, mail # user - runit and Kafka

runit and Kafka
Guy Doulberg 2012-07-05, 09:24
Hi guys,

In my deployment of Kafka I am using runit to control the service of the
kafka broker.

In the run script I have this line:
#!/bin/sh
exec 2>&1

exec /opt/kafka/bin/kafka-server-start.sh /etc/kafka/server.properties

It works fine, if I want to start the broker, but if I want to stop or
restart the process, the kafka broker doesn't get kill...

So eventually the old kafka broker prevents from the new broker to start
(Because the ports are already binded).
Of course the running the same line of code in the shell and then ctrl-c
ing works good (as you know kafka broker is not a daemon)

I was wondering if someone has encountered this phenomena and solved it.

Thanks,

Guy Doulberg