The support for Hadoop on Windows was proposed in
a year ago. The goal was to make Hadoop natively integrated, full-featured,
and performance and scalability tuned on Windows Server or Windows Azure.
We are happy to announce that a lot of progress has been made in this
Initial work started in a feature branch, branch-1-win, based on branch-1.
The details related to the work done in the branch can be seen in
This work has been ported to a branch, branch-trunk-win, based on trunk.
Merge patch for this is available on
Highlights of the work done so far:
1. Necessary changes in Hadoop to run natively on Windows. These changes
handle differences in platforms related to path names, process/task
2. Addition of winutils tools for managing file permissions and ownership,
user group mapping, hardlinks, symbolic links, chmod, disk utilization, and
3. Added cmd scripts equivalent to existing shell scripts hadoop-daemon.sh,
start and stop scripts.
4. Addition of block placement policy implemnation to support cloud
enviroment, more specifically Azure.
We are very close to wrapping up the work in branch-trunk-win and getting
ready for a merge. Currently the merge patch is passing close to 100% of
unit tests on Linux. Soon I will call for a vote to merge this branch into
1. Call for vote to merge branch-trunk-win to trunk, when the work
completes and precommit build is clean.
2. Start a discussion on adding Jenkins precommit builds on windows and how
to integrate that with the existing commit process.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Eli Collins 2013-02-08, 02:46
Suresh Srinivas 2013-02-08, 17:12
Mahadevan Venkatraman 2013-02-08, 02:41