HBase >> mail # user >> Smallest production HBase cluster

+
Paul Smith 2010-07-22, 22:56
+
Ken Weiner 2010-07-23, 16:53
+
Otis Gospodnetic 2010-07-23, 17:39
+
Paul Smith 2010-07-25, 02:59
RE: Smallest production HBase cluster
Hi,
We run a similar 3 nodes cluster on AWS large instances (8GB ram). We do constant small writes into hbase (for logging) and constantly run m/r jobs at the same time on the same nodes (using pig). Once our regionservers have enough ram (-Xmx2048m in our case) they stay stable. This cluster has not failed since 6 months now, but hbase is not heavy loaded (only constant writes and sequential reads).
Actually, because pig 's hbase loader is too slow, we first copy all logs into regular hdfs files before running m/r jobs. This greatly reduce the load on hbase. This also could allow us to separate the storage cluster from the m/r cluster, which can be a good idea provided that they don't scale the same way, but is a bad idea if your data are hudge.
Finally, even if I like the product a lot, I must say that hbase is THE MOST UNSTABLE PIECE of our backend. We never had any trouble with hdfs, m/r or pig, but we had LOTS of difficulties managing and tuning HBase the right way: there is definitively some work to do on reducing memory usage and increasing fiability.
We lost all of our data once because of a crash that lead to inconsistant data structure, but it was with hbase 0.20.2.
My position is that if hbase could be used on small nodes (2gb ram) reliably it would be the perfect product :-)