HDFS, mail # user - Running a single cluster in multiple datacenters

Re: Running a single cluster in multiple datacenters
Bertrand Dechoux 2013-07-15, 22:37
According to your own analysis, you wouldn't be more available but that was
your aim.
Did you consider having two separate clusters? One per datacenter, with an
automatic copy of the data?
I understand that load balancing of work and data would not be easy but it
seems to me a simple strategy (that I have seen working).

However, you are stating that the two datacenters are close and linked by a
big network connection.
What is the impact on the latency and the bandwidth? (between two nodes in
the same datacenter versus two nodes in different datacenters)
The main question is what happens when a job will use TaskTrackers from
datacenter A but DataNodes from datacenter B.
It will happen. Simply consider Reducer tasks that don't have any strategy
about locality because it doesn't really make sense in a general context.

Regards

Bertrand

--
Bertrand Dechoux