HBase >> mail # dev >> Rolling restart from 0.92 to 0.94

+
lars hofhansl 2013-09-04, 21:00
Re: Rolling restart from 0.92 to 0.94
On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 5:00 AM, lars hofhansl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Shrijeet Paliwal just pointed me to this section in the HBase bookhttp://
> hbase.apache.org/upgrading.html#upgrade0.94 (thanks Shrijeet):
>

> ----
> 1.3. Upgrading from 0.92.x to 0.94.x
> We used to think that 0.92 and 0.94 were interface compatible and that you
> can do a rolling upgrade between these versions but then we figured that
> HBASE-5357 Use builder pattern in HColumnDescriptor changed method
> signatures so rather than return void they instead return
> HColumnDescriptor.  This will throw
> java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
> org.apache.hadoop.hbase.HColumnDescriptor.setMaxVersions(I)V
> .... so 0.92 and 0.94 are NOT compatible.  You cannot do a rolling upgrade
> between them.
> ----
>

> Is that statement actually correct? The issue here is binary code
> compatibility, which we indeed do not support, but which does not impede
> rolling upgrades between versions (as long as we're wire compatible between
> releases, which we are).

The statement overreaches with its absolute that the two are NOT
compatible.  If someone suggests text, I'll update the refguide.
St.Ack
+
James Taylor 2013-09-04, 22:04
+