Sqoop, mail # user - Sqoop hive import- specify hive database

+
Nitin kak 2013-01-30, 23:00
+
Jarek Jarcec Cecho 2013-01-30, 23:22
+
Nitin kak 2013-01-30, 23:33
+
Jarek Jarcec Cecho 2013-01-31, 16:23
+
Nitin kak 2013-01-30, 23:41
Re: Sqoop hive import- specify hive database
Jarek Jarcec Cecho 2013-01-31, 16:27
Hi Nitin,
parameter --hive-import is supported and working correctly when you're running Sqoop from command line. It's known to not work correctly when you run Sqoop from Oozie and thus it's not supported only when running from Oozie.

The recommended workaround is to split your Sqoop action into two actions instead:

* In first Sqoop action load data into temporary directory on HDFS
* In subsequent second Hive action load data from temporary directory into Hive

Jarcec

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 06:41:31PM -0500, Nitin kak wrote:
> I can see the --hive-import in the CDH4 documentation as well.
>
> http://archive.cloudera.com/cdh4/cdh/4/sqoop/SqoopUserGuide.html#_literal_sqoop_import_literal
>
> On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 6:33 PM, Nitin kak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I am using sqoop 1.4 and Hive 0.9.
> >
> > "Also please note that hive import is not supported when is Sqoop used
> > from Oozie.". Thats strange...because I am using it.
> >
> > I was doing it the way you said before but there is a "null" value issue
> > which comes in between. The thing is while importing to a hive table from a
> > HDFS directory, the NULL values are taken as null strings(well at least for
> > the non-numeric columns). This creates an inconsistency as for numeric
> > columns Hive takes \N as null while for string columns, there is "null"
> > string. This creates issue while exporting data back from HDFS to RDBMS.
> >

> > On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 6:22 PM, Jarek Jarcec Cecho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Nitin,
> >> would you mind sharing what Sqoop and Hive version are you using? The
> >> --hive-table command in form <database>.<table> is the correct and
> >> supported way. However I barely remember that I faced similar issue in the
> >> past, updating Hive has solved that for me.
> >>
> >> Also please note that hive import is not supported when is Sqoop used
> >> from Oozie. Recommended workaround is to split the task into two actions -
> >> in first sqoop action import data into HDFS, in second hive action load
> >> them into Hive.
> >>
> >> Jarcec

> >> Oozie

+