Zookeeper >> mail # user >> How to replace a zookeeper server ?

+
David Song 2012-04-17, 06:48
+
Camille Fournier 2012-04-18, 02:50
+
David Song 2012-04-18, 03:16
+
Michi Mutsuzaki 2012-04-18, 06:04
+
Ted Dunning 2012-04-18, 15:44
+
Jordan Zimmerman 2012-04-18, 16:34
Re: How to replace a zookeeper server ?
Agreed that just restarting is probably the easiest way to go. I'm
trying to reason how to do this with a rolling restart without any
downtime at all, and I'm not 100% sure that is safely possible.
Start with A B C up
Reconfigure A to be A B D
Restart A. Quorum is still satisfied.
Take down C. A and B are still up with quorum.
At this point you could bring up D. I need one of the better experts
on the leader election protocol to answer what happens then. B will
not recognize D as a quorum member. If B is leading, D won't get into
the quorum. If A is leading, D will get into the quorum (I think).
Either way, if you then bring down B, A and D should find each other
and be able to form a quorum. Then restart B with A B D and all is
well. The outstanding question in my mind is whether it's safe to have
D try to join when one of the quorum members knows about it but the
other doesn't.