HBase, mail # user - Hbase cluster for serving real time site traffic

Re: Hbase cluster for serving real time site traffic
Kevin O'dell 2012-10-30, 19:15
Varun,

  I will take a shot at answering this:

1) It seems hbase starts only one zookeeper on the master node - which is
critical for operation - how many zookeepers should I use and can I run
those on the region servers ? <-- 3 and they should be on dedicated servers
for a real production environment.
2) How many masters to use - does hbase support multiple masters (primary
and secondary) within the same cluster ? From my understanding, master
availability is not critical for operation. <--2 if you lose the master you
lose HBase.  The Master is VERY critical.
3) NameNode - We are running hadoop 0.8 - I have read that NameNode is a
single point of failure and we should really be running two name node(s) so
we can failover. Is it fine to run these on the region servers ? 2, you
will want to use HA for a real production workload.  The SNN(Secondary Name
Node) is a very misleading name.

So, yes, secondary NameNode is probably more critical than the secondary
master - since the master is only responsible for metadata changes/region
splits/table creation etc and not for writes/reads. <--- This is not
correct.  The Secondary Name Node is not a failover node.  You will want to
use a release that has HA to guarantee availability at the NN level.  The
master is in charge of META data operations, but also with out the Master
the RS will not continue to just work.  It is very important to have two
masters.

 I will defer Jean-Marc on the Schema designs.

Kevin O'Dell
Customer Operations Engineer, Cloudera