Zookeeper, mail # dev - Proposal: create a separate ZooKeeper release artifact for recipes

Re: Proposal: create a separate ZooKeeper release artifact for recipes
Ted Dunning 2011-12-05, 22:27
Jordan,

My idea would be a single pool of committers who tend to have
specializations for committing.  There would also possibly be different
policies relative to review before or after commit for different parts of
the project.  My guess is that many of the committers would cross the lines
often, especially since the core committers would probably often have
opinions about recipes.

Pat,

I am not talking about a sub-project.  I am talking about us just starting
a recipes deliverable right now and start accepting contributions (notably
Curator).  As people make significant and continued contributions, we could
make them ZK committers.  This gives a ready made community, expertise with
release processes and so on with less effort than a full-scale incubation
process.

And yes, I would be willing to help with some of this.

With regard to MRUnit, I don't consider the situations parallel.  ZK is
usable by itself, but not for most implementors.  Curator and similar
recipes provide the necessary bridge.  As such, I think that Solr is a much
better analogy.

I completely agree with Doug that community overlap is key.  Here, I can't
imagine any ZK recipe user who is not a ZK user.  I can also imagine that
once the recipes are really available that there will be few ZK users who
are not recipe users.  That seems to me to imply that the communities are
the same.