Hadoop, mail # user - Which release to use?

RE: Which release to use?
Michael Segel 2011-07-19, 01:51

> Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 18:19:38 -0700
> Subject: Re: Which release to use?
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Mike,
>
> Just a minor inaccuracy in your email. Here's setting the record straight:
>
> 1. MapR directly sells their distribution of Hadoop. Support is from  MapR.
> 2. EMC also sells the MapR distribution, for use on any hardware. Support is
> from EMC worldwide.
> 3. EMC also sells a Hadoop appliance, which has the MapR distribution
> specially built for it. Support is from EMC.
>
> 4. MapR also has a free, unlimited, unrestricted version called M3, which
> has the same 2-5x performance, management and stability improvements, and
> includes NFS. It is not crippleware, and the unlimited, unrestricted, free
> use does not expire on any date.
>
> Hope that clarifies what MapR is doing.
>
> thanks & regards,
> Srivas.

Srivas,

I'm sorry, I thought I was being clear in that I was only addressing EMC and not MapR directly.
I was responding to post about EMC selling a Greenplum appliance. I wanted to point out that EMC will resell MapR's release along with their own (EMC) support.

The point I was trying to make was that with respect to derivatives of Hadoop, I believe that MapR has a more compelling story than either EMC or DataStax. IMHO replacing Java HDFS w either GreenPlum or Cassandra has a limited market.  When a company is going to look at a M/R solution cost and performance are going to be at the top of the list. MapR isn't cheap but if you look at the features in M5, if they work, then you have a very compelling reason to look at their release. Some of the people I spoke to when I was in Santa Clara were in the beta program. They indicated that MapR did what they claimed.

Things are definitely starting to look interesting.

-Mike