Hadoop >> mail # dev >> making a hadoop-common test run if a property is set

Re: making a hadoop-common test run if a property is set
On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 11:03 AM, Steve Loughran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 17 December 2012 16:06, Tom White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> There are some tests like the S3 tests that end with "Test" (e.g.
>> Jets3tNativeS3FileSystemContractTest) - unlike normal tests which
>> start with "Test". Only those that start with "Test" are run
>> automatically (see the surefire configuration in
>> hadoop-project/pom.xml). You have to run the others manually with "mvn
>> test -Dtest=...".
>>
>> The mechanism that Colin describes is probably better though, since
>> the environment-specific tests can be run as a part of a full test run
>> by Jenkins if configured appropriately.
>>

> I'd like that -though one problem with the current system is that you need
> to get the s3 (and soon: openstack) credentials into
> src/test/resources/core-site.xml, which isn't the right approach. If we
> could get them into properties files things would be easier.
> That's overkill for adding a few more openstack tests -but I would like to
> make it easier to turn those and the rackspace ones without sticking my
> secrets into an XML file under SCM

I think the way to go is to have one XML file include another.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<configuration xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude">
  <property>
     <name>boring.config.1</name>
     <value>boring-value</value>
     ... etc, etc...
  <xi:include href="../secret-stuff.xml" />
</configuration>

That way, you can keep the boring configuration under version control,
and still have your password sitting in a small separate
non-version-controlled XML file.

We use this trick a bunch with the HA configuration stuff-- 99% of the
configuration is the same between the Active and Standby Namenodes,
but you can't give them the same dfs.ha.namenode.id or dfs.name.dir.
Includes help a lot here.

> another tactic could be to have specific test projects: test-s3,
> test-openstack, test-... which contain nothing but test cases. You'd set
> jenkins up those test projects too -the reason for having the separate
> names is to make it blatantly clear which tests you've not run

I dunno.  Every time a project puts unit or system tests into a
separate project, the developers never run them.  I've seen it happen
enough times that I think I can call it an anti-pattern by now.  I
like having tests alongside the code-- to the maximum extent that is
possible.

cheers,
Colin