HBase >> mail # user >> Tables gets Major Compacted even if they haven't changed

Tables gets Major Compacted even if they haven't changed
Hi,
We have a bunch on tables in our HBase cluster. We have a script which
makes sure all of them get Major Compacted once every 2 days. There are 2
things I'm observing

1) Table X has not updated in a month. We have not inserted, updated or
deleted data. However, it still major compacts every 2 days. All the
regions in this table have only 1 store file.

2) Table Y has a few regions where the rowkey is essentially a timestamp.
So, we only write to 1 region at a time. Over time, the region splits, and
then we write the one of the split regions. Now, whenever we major compact
the table, all regions get major compacted. Only 1 region has more than 1
store file, every other region has exactly once.

Is there a way to avoid compaction of regions that have not changed?

We are using HBase 0.94.11

--
Regards,
Premal Shah.