Home | About | Sematext search-lucene.com search-hadoop.com
NEW: Monitor These Apps!
elasticsearch, apache solr, apache hbase, hadoop, redis, casssandra, amazon cloudwatch, mysql, memcached, apache kafka, apache zookeeper, apache storm, ubuntu, centOS, red hat, debian, puppet labs, java, senseiDB
 Search Hadoop and all its subprojects:

Switch to Threaded View
Hadoop >> mail # general >> Security roadmap [Was: Release plans]


Copy link to this message
-
Security roadmap [Was: Release plans]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-4487. Please start a new thread
next time.

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 12:40 AM, Evert Lammerts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> I'm sorry for breaking into your discussion as an outsider, but I'm very
> curious about the security features you are planning to roll out in March.
> Where can I find information about this?
>
> Best regards,
> Evert Lammerts
>
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Jay Booth [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> > Sent: maandag 22 februari 2010 5:55
> > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Subject: Re: Release plans
> >
> > Well, since someone has to get the ball rolling as far as release
> > masters, I'll nominate Stack and/or someone hbase related for 0.21
> > with the primary goal of being "soon"?  They get a big win from append
> > and others will gain from the expanded mapreduce lib, better
> > schedulers, etc. There are a lot of new features and some major
> > changes (project split) already in the 0.21 branch, so IMO it's worth
> > considering a release with minimal backports, rather than make binding
> > decisions about 0.22 before 0.21 is even in the wild.
> >
> > -Jay
> >
> > PS sorry Stack
> >
> > On Feb 20, 2010, at 5:04 PM, Stack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Eli Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> > >> Can we make a decision on basing 21 on the current branch and if
> > it's
> > >> decided that 22 can't remove stuff that was in 20 we'll go back and
> > >> do
> > >> the necessary additions on 21 and trunk? Suspect that decision will
> > >> take a lot more back and forth, but needs to conclude before 21 is
> > >> released.
> > >>
> > >
> > > Lets.
> > >
> > > Regards 0.21/current-branch release, as has been suggested above,
> > > first we need to figure the release master.  No release master, no
> > > release.  If we have a release master, then I suggest we vote on
> > > current branch being released as 0.21 as soon as the blockers are
> > > cleared.
> > >
> > > I don't think we need muddy the above vote with whether or not 0.21
> > > maintains API combatibility with 0.20.  IMO, it must (because Y! want
> > > to have the 0.20 API in place when January 2011 rolls around).  This
> > > makes 0.21 a "minor" release -- something we've not done before (For
> > > the record, I also had a misunderstanding that what we were doing up
> > > to this was major and patch only).  So, part of the release process
> > > would involve ensuring no removed deprecations, etc.
> > >
> > > As DC has been saying, this requirement that releases between now and
> > > January 2011 not change APIs makes 0.20 retroactively into a "major"
> > > release.  0.20 is the release where major shifted left in our
> > > versioning scheme and minor releases came into play.  0.21 and 0.22
> > > will be minor releases. Can we just acknowledge this fact, that there
> > > was a step at version 0.20, update the wiki around versioning -- its
> > > currently wrong anyways as Elis' points out -- and just move on?
> > > Going back and calling 0.20 a 1.0 seems more apt to create confusion
> > > and besides, I'm with Allen that hadoop 1.0 needs wire compatibility
> > > before the 1.0 can roll around.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > St.Ack
> > > P.S. +1 on branching as soon as avro and security are in, etc.
>
NEW: Monitor These Apps!
elasticsearch, apache solr, apache hbase, hadoop, redis, casssandra, amazon cloudwatch, mysql, memcached, apache kafka, apache zookeeper, apache storm, ubuntu, centOS, red hat, debian, puppet labs, java, senseiDB