Hadoop >> mail # general >> [VOTE] Abandon hdfsproxy HDFS contrib

Re: [VOTE] Abandon hdfsproxy HDFS contrib

On Feb 11, 2011, at 12:03 PM, Ian Holsman wrote:

> On Feb 11, 2011, at 5:11 PM, Nigel Daley wrote:

>>> -1 we still use and are maintaining this.
>>

>> Who's the 'we'?  Looking at HDFS-1164 it looks like hdfsproxy was
>> failing a unit test for 7 months.  This is exactly the reason we
>> should thoughtfully consider whether it has a future within Hadoop.
>>
>> Perhaps Y! uses a different version of hdfsproxy?
>
> They probably have patched it, and mistakenly forgot to submit them
Yes, we have some updates that we haven;t got around to pushing around

> .. any chance of doing a diff on your version and submitting it?
I will check into this and get back.
We are also working to incorporate some of the features of the proxy
into hdfs proper -- if that work completes and is accepted by the
community then hdfs proxy may become
less useful.

Hence, for now,  my vote is -1 for removing hdfs proxy.

sanjay

sanjay