HBase >> mail # user >> ERROR zookeeper.RecoverableZooKeeper: ZooKeeper exists failed after 3 retries

Re: ERROR zookeeper.RecoverableZooKeeper: ZooKeeper exists failed after 3 retries
Hi, J-D,

I just made summary about the experiences to set up a pseudo-distributed
mode HBase.

1) RedHat 9 is not suitable for running HBase and Hadoop. I don't know the
reasons. Now Ubuntu is my choice.

2) After the pseudo-distributed mode of HDFS is configured, it is required
to configure the hbase-env.sh and hbase-site.xml. The book, HBase the
Definitive Guide, does not mentions hbase.env.xml.

3) It should set up JAVA_HOME, HBASE_CLASSPATH and HBASE_MANAGES_ZK. My
hbase-env.sh is as follows.

     export JAVA_HOME=/opt/jdk1.6.1/
     export HBASE_CLASSPATH=/opt/hbase-0.92.0/conf
     export HBASE_OPTS="-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC"
     export HBASE_MANAGES_ZK=true

4) When configuring hbase-site.xml, the property,
hbase.cluster.distributed, must be set also. The book, HBase the Definitive
Guide, does not do that either. My hbase-site.xml is as follows.

     <?xml version="1.0"?>
     <configuration>
        <property>
           <name>hbase.rootdir</name>
           <value>hdfs://localhost:9000/hbase</value>
        </property>
        <property>
           <name>dfs.replication</name>
           <value>1</value>
        </property>
        <property>
           <name>hbase.cluster.distributed</name>
           <value>true</value>
        </property>
     </configuration>

I am a new user of HBase. Your suggestions are highly appreciated.

Best regards,
Bing