Hadoop >> mail # user >> can't start namenode

Re: can't start namenode
You've probably got current/edits.new corrupted.
If it is an empty file you can simply delete it and start the NN.
There shouldn't be any data loss.
If it is not empty then you will loose data from the start of
the latest checkpoint, which should recent I believe.

--Konstantin
On 3/4/2010 9:05 AM, mike anderson wrote:
> We have a single dfs.name.dir directory, in case it's useful the contents
> are:
>
> [mike@carr name]$ ls -l
> total 8
> drwxrwxr-x 2 mike mike 4096 Mar  4 11:18 current
> drwxrwxr-x 2 mike mike 4096 Oct  8 16:38 image
>

> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Todd Lipcon<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  wrote:
>
>> Hi Mike,
>>
>> Was your namenode configured with multiple dfs.name.dir settings?
>>
>> If so, can you please reply with "ls -l" from each dfs.name.dir?
>>
>> Thanks
>> -Todd
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 8:57 AM, mike anderson<[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>> wrote:
>>
>>> Our hadoop cluster went down last night when the namenode ran out of hard
>>> drive space. Trying to restart fails with this exception (see below).
>>>
>>> Since I don't really care that much about losing a days worth of data or
>> so
>>> I'm fine with blowing away the edits file if that's what it takes (we
>> don't
>>> have a secondary namenode to restore from). I tried removing the edits
>> file
>>> from the namenode directory, but then it complained about not finding an
>>> edits file. I touched a blank edits file and I got the exact same
>>> exception.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts? I googled around a bit, but to no avail.
>>>
>>> -mike
>>>

>>> 2010-03-04 10:50:44,768 INFO org.apache.hadoop.ipc.metrics.RpcMetrics:
>>> Initializing RPC Metrics with hostName=NameNode, port=54310
>>> 2010-03-04 10:50:44,772 INFO
>>> org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode: Namenode up at:
>>> carr.projectlounge.com/10.0.16.91:54310
>>> 2010-03-04<http://carr.projectlounge.com/10.0.16.91:54310%0A2010-03-04>10:50:44,773
>> INFO org.apache.hadoop.metrics.jvm.JvmMetrics:
>>> Initializing JVM Metrics with processName=NameNode, sessionId=null
>>> 2010-03-04 10:50:44,774 INFO
>>> org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.metrics.NameNodeMetrics:
>>> Initializing
>>> NameNodeMeterics using context
>>> object:org.apache.hadoop.metrics.spi.NullContext
>>> 2010-03-04 10:50:44,816 INFO
>>> org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem:
>> fsOwner=pubget,pubget
>>> 2010-03-04 10:50:44,817 INFO
>>> org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem:
>> supergroup=supergroup
>>> 2010-03-04 10:50:44,817 INFO
>>> org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem:
>>> isPermissionEnabled=true
>>> 2010-03-04 10:50:44,823 INFO
>>> org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.metrics.FSNamesystemMetrics:
>>> Initializing FSNamesystemMetrics using context
>>> object:org.apache.hadoop.metrics.spi.NullContext
>>> 2010-03-04 10:50:44,825 INFO
>>> org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem: Registered
>>> FSNamesystemStatusMBean
>>> 2010-03-04 10:50:44,849 INFO
>> org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.common.Storage:
>>> Number of files = 2687
>>> 2010-03-04 10:50:45,092 INFO
>> org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.common.Storage:
>>> Number of files under construction = 7
>>> 2010-03-04 10:50:45,095 INFO
>> org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.common.Storage:
>>> Image file of size 347821 loaded in 0 seconds.
>>> 2010-03-04 10:50:45,104 INFO
>> org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.common.Storage:
>>> Edits file /mnt/hadoop/name/current/edits of size 4653 edits # 39 loaded
>> in
>>> 0 seconds.
>>> 2010-03-04 10:50:45,114 ERROR
>>> org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode:
>>> java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: ""