HDFS, mail # dev - current direction in namenode HA

+
Sujee Maniyam 2012-09-04, 22:37
+
Uma Maheswara Rao G 2012-09-04, 23:09
Re: current direction in namenode HA
Uma Maheswara Rao G 2012-09-04, 23:17
small correction:
  This is for your Option 4:
   you can take a look at HDFS-3077
   In this umbrella JIRA, work is going actively.

@Ted, thanks for adding the link.

Regards,
Uma

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 4:39 AM, Uma Maheswara Rao G <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Hi Sujee,
>
> Thanks a lot for your interest on HA.
>
> for #1
> If you can invest on NFS filers, it is another option.  If you want to try
> this, you can use released Hadoop-2 version and try.
>   but above #2 and #3 will avoid this external hardware dependency.
>
> for #2 you can take a look at HDFS-3399
>   We are testing with BookeKeeper from last 2/3 months and going well. BK
> is progressing on autorecovery and security parts. Almost auto recoverry
> done(BOOKKEEPER-237) and will be released in BK 4.2 version very soon. BK
> already started work on security part as well. Also this integration part
> will come out with next hadoop-2 release as well. Also attached tested
> scenarios in HDFS-3399 for your reference if you want to take a look.
> Also there is one subTask in that umbrella  JIRA for user manual
> information.
>

> for #3 you can take a look at HDFS-3077
>    In this umbrella JIRA work is going on actively.
>

> for #4
> I am not sure any one working on it.
>
> The advantage here is, you can plugin the shared storage whichever you
> want.
>
> Regards,
> Uma
>

> On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 4:07 AM, Sujee Maniyam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Hello devs,
>>
>> I am trying to understand the current state / direction of  namenode
>> HA implementation.
>>
>> For using shared directory, I see the following options
>> (from
>> http://www.cloudera.com/blog/2012/03/high-availability-for-the-hadoop-distributed-file-system-hdfs/
>>   and  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-3278)
>>
>> 1) rely on external HA filer
>> 2) multiple edit directories
>> 3) book keeper
>> 4) keep edits in HDFS / quorum based
>>
>> is there going to be an 'official / supported' method, or it is going
>> to be a configurable choice when setting up a cluster?
>>
>> thanks
>> Sujee
>> http://sujee.net

+