Accumulo, mail # dev - [git] Documentation and Plan of Action

Re: [git] Documentation and Plan of Action
David Medinets 2013-06-13, 02:45
It troubles me that we are referring to the master branch as unstable.
While we are not following the dictums of Agile methodology it is clear to
me that the master branch should always be potentially releasable. It is
not a dumping ground for untested features or half-complete code.

If something is incomplete, leave it in a branch. If you want to
collaborate, create a github project and form a team. Only when the code is
fully baked, merge it into the master.

The SHA1 value of a change tracks it across all branches. No need to
perform no-op merges. Simply check the branch history to see it contains
the SHA1 hash you're interested in.

I found the 'git show-graph' alias at
http://gitready.com/intermediate/2009/01/26/text-based-graph.html to be
helpful. Simply 'git show-graph | grep <sha1>' to easily find out if one
change is included in a branch.

If managing the releases inside one git repository seems prone to
complications, create a separate repository for each release. After all,
post-release there really should be only bug fixes.