HBase, mail # dev - Publishing jars for hbase compiled against hadoop 0.23.x/hadoop 2.0.x

+
Jonathan Hsieh 2012-05-16, 18:24
+
Andrew Purtell 2012-05-16, 18:27
+
Jonathan Hsieh 2012-05-16, 18:35
Re: Publishing jars for hbase compiled against hadoop 0.23.x/hadoop 2.0.x
Gary Helmling 2012-05-16, 19:45
Maven's support for "classifiers" in dependencies seems to be targeted
at this kind of case:
http://maven.apache.org/pom.html#Dependencies

I'm not sure how exactly that works with publishing artifacts though.
It may just amount to appending the "classifier" as a suffix anyway.
But may be worth looking at in more detail.
On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Jonathan Hsieh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Andy,
>
> Ah, ok that sounds reasonable.  Some this would be similar to how the
> security build used to have a "-security" suffix but for hadoop2 we'd have
> something like a "-hadoop2" suffix instead.
>
> Jon.
>
> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Andrew Purtell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Jonathan Hsieh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > I've gotten pinged by folks working on Apache Flume, a project that
>> depends
>> > directly upon hbase and hadoop hdfs jars about how to get the proper
>> hbase
>> > jars that work against hadoop 1.0 and hadoop 0.23/2.0.
>> > Unfortunately, the transition from hadoop 1.0.0 to hadoop 0.23.x/2.0
>> > requires hbase to be recompiled to run against the different hadoop
>> > version. ("compile compatible" but not "binary compatible").
>> >
>> > Currently, we build and publish hbase jars compiled against hadoop 1.0.x.
>> >
>> > What is the right way to publish poms/jars for those who want use an
>> hbase
>> > jars compiled against hadoop 0.23/2.0?  Is there a right way?
>>
>> This requires we add a version suffix for the Hadoop version used during
>> build?
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>>    - Andy
>>
>> Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back. - Piet
>> Hein (via Tom White)
>>

> --
> // Jonathan Hsieh (shay)
> // Software Engineer, Cloudera