HBase >> mail # user >> Is Put() operation a synchronous call on server side?

Is Put() operation a synchronous call on server side?
Hi, since on client side HBase can immediately send Put() by turning off
setAutoFlush(), I am wondering if Put() in HBase server side is executed in
synchronous way? Be a bit more specific, given a Put() that already arrives
at HRegion, will it wait (or be blocking) until all put-related operations
are done, such as write to WAL and write to memstore, or even flush to disk
(though may not on every time). Or it just triggers put-related operations
and immediately returns....
Besides, in research of this problem, I found it not very easy to find the
code that perform RPC in HBase, for example, how does client-side
HTable.put() invoke the server-side HRegion.put().... Can anyone points to
me the related code path on this regards? Thanks...
regards,
Yun