Hive, mail # user - Design help with custom front-end for hive

Design help with custom front-end for hive
Vijay 2009-09-15, 04:56
Hi,

I tried to begin a discussion along these lines earlier but that kind of
went into a digression. My plan is to build a custom front-end for hive.
Hive cli and hwi are great for the needs of developers and such but the idea
here is to make hive a lot more accessible to non-technical and non-sql
users (mostly business and marketing types). It front-end will have some
standard features where you can "build and save" queries for reuse, run
queries and retrieve results in CSV/XLS format, etc. Ideally the front-end
also enables multiple users submitting and running jobs simultaneously I see
2 approaches to this problem.

1. Leverage the JDBC driver with an off-the-shelf or open source report
designing software that has most of the above features already built-in.
There seem to be issues integrating hadoop+hive+jdbcdriver with some of the
existing tools but hopefully those issues could be solved. I believe there
are known integration issues with existing tools due to the minimal JDBC
implementation of hive. Not sure if this should be a major concern.

2. Just build a custom ui from scratch. I guess I could start with hwi and
customize it. Some of the features above probably make sense to fold into
hwi (may be) but some of them would be very specific to our internal systems
and applications. May be it'd be possible to somehow achieve both.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Vijay