MapReduce >> mail # user >> What's the best disk configuration for hadoop? SSD's Raid levels, etc?

Re: What's the best disk configuration for hadoop? SSD's Raid levels, etc?
Hi David,
your first point :

the role of thumb is : "one disk per CPU (or per 1.5 to 2 CPU)" in your
case more parrallel IO could be possible with more disks, but
as you wrote, you have less IO bound processing things might change and a
SSD could speed up shuffle & sort phase, but I suggest to do
some benchmarking with "Starfish". This can tell you the difference between
a std. disk an SSD disk.

2.) I would not recommend RAID in a Hadoop box. Hadoop does the
distribution and also the redundancy (like RAID does) but spread across
multiple machines.

3.) You can configure, how many disks are allowed to fail without crashing
a whole node. So you can replace the drive and block redistribution
is done also automaticly as a part of the self healing features of HDFS.

Best wishes
Mirko