Home | About | Sematext search-lucene.com search-hadoop.com
 Search Hadoop and all its subprojects:

Switch to Plain View
HDFS, mail # user - Re: Business Analysts in Hadoop World


Copy link to this message
-
Re: Business Analysts in Hadoop World
Peyman Mohajerian 2013-06-30, 19:50
I would say as a BA you definitely don't have to bother with Java and the
goal of open source big data is not to have people work with Java. If you
get familiar with Hive and HQL it will help you a lot. A lot of
organizations are entering into this space from DW/BI background and none
have to do Java. Even if you do want do some low level data analysis,
Python would be better from your point of view (the language of a lot of
Data Science guys). Java is great if you want to start contributing to the
code base or writing the most optimized queries or understand the low level
implementations.

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 7:22 PM, Michael Aro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Hi Vijay,
>
> Scott Gnau of Teradata Labs mentioned something related in the recent
> Hadoop summit in San Jose. The title of his presentation was "Putting
> Hadoop to Work in the Enterprise" and you can watch the video via this
> link: http://hadoopsummit.org/san-jose/keynote-day1/. He mentioned the
> business analyst around time 07:00 in the video. All the videos were great!
>
> Mike.
>
>
> On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 10:49 AM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Is Data scientist in hadoop same as BA in IT.
>> Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel
>> ------------------------------
>> *From: * Michael Forage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> *Date: *Fri, 28 Jun 2013 13:57:24 +0000
>> *To: *[EMAIL PROTECTED]<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> *ReplyTo: * [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> *Subject: *RE: Business Analysts in Hadoop World
>>
>>  Hi Vijay****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> I’m afraid I’m not experienced or specialised enough in either Hadoop or
>> the broader Big data industry to give any advice on career paths****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> Obviously different organisations expect completely different levels of
>> technical contribution from their Business Analysts but in my experience
>> the ability to collect, evaluate and interpret business requirements into
>> some kind of functional specification document is key. The responsibility
>> for subsequent technical specifications based applied knowledge of the big
>> data tools at disposal will probably sit with your Solution Architect.
>> Often a BA wouldn’t care how a solution is implemented under the covers.
>> However, in the same way that a BA may define user-flows in a use-case they
>> could outline a conceptual data processing flow if they understand the
>> source data and requirements well enough.****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> There are so many new tools and technologies in this space already that,
>> unless you have a specific requirement to meet, it can be pretty
>> overwhelming. I’d just start by concentrating on getting an understanding
>> of map reduce concepts. Sure, it always helps if you’ve the time to get
>> some hands-on technical  experience but that’s not a trivial undertaking
>> from a standing start and it may be completely irrelevant for you in the
>> long run as that’s not what a BA is paid to do.****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> Sorry I can’t be more help****
>>
>> Mike****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> *From:* Vijaya Narayana Reddy Bhoomi Reddy [mailto:
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>> *Sent:* 28 June 2013 14:10
>> *To:* [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> *Subject:* RE: Business Analysts in Hadoop World****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> Michael,****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> Thanks for your advice. I am just confused because I could not see a
>> clear career path for Business Analysts in the Hadoop world. May be
>> because, it’s an evolving field or maybe I am not yet aware of the same
>> despite reading some primary content on the internet. However, I firmly
>> believe the Big Data space is going to be very big in the next years and I
>> would like to be part of it and contribute. I would like to know from you
>> more on the role and responsibilities a BA can perform in this space and
>> the possible areas / technologies which I need myself to be prepared for.
>> ****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> Thanks****
>>
>> Vijay****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> *From:* Michael Forage [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]