HBase >> mail # user >> HBase & BigTable + History: Can it run decently on a 512MB machine? What's the difference between the two?

Re: HBase & BigTable + History: Can it run decently on a 512MB machine? What's the difference between the two?
DS,

HBase is an open source project, so you can read the source code and make that determination for yourself. It was first created based on the same ideas in the Bigtable paper (published by Google) but is only related based on the design goals and philosophy, not the actual implementation.

BigTable, conversely, is a proprietary system design and run by Google. They don't share the source code, nor license it outside of Google in any way. So if you want an actual comparison, you'll have to go work at Google. :)

I don't think there's anyone claiming that HBase = Bigtable; simply that it's based on the same ideas, and is intended as an open source implementation of the same concept.

Ian