Accumulo >> mail # user >> Getting the IP Address

+
Ravi Mutyala 2013-08-28, 15:38
+
Eric Newton 2013-08-28, 16:53
+
Marc Reichman 2013-08-28, 16:57
+
Sean Busbey 2013-08-28, 16:59
+
Billie Rinaldi 2013-08-28, 17:03
+
Christopher 2013-08-28, 17:32
+
Billie Rinaldi 2013-08-28, 17:44
+
John Vines 2013-08-28, 17:54
+
Christopher 2013-08-28, 19:00
+
John Vines 2013-08-28, 19:03
+
Christopher 2013-08-28, 20:26
+
Keith Turner 2013-08-28, 20:35
+
Adam Fuchs 2013-08-28, 20:44
+
Keith Turner 2013-08-28, 21:00
+
Ravi Mutyala 2013-08-28, 21:01
+
John Vines 2013-08-28, 21:56
+
Ravi Mutyala 2013-08-28, 22:01
+
Smith, Joshua D. 2013-08-28, 21:10
+
Ott, Charles H. 2013-08-28, 19:38
+
Sean Busbey 2013-08-28, 18:10
+
Ott, Charles H. 2013-08-28, 18:50
+
Alex Moundalexis 2013-08-28, 18:01
Re: Getting the IP Address
On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 1:54 PM, John Vines <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> We use this similar logic throughout a lot of our scripts for determining
> the external facing IP address in a portable manner, it's just that the
> init.d scripts are a bit more strict about it. This is the equivalent of
> using the name defined in the slaves/masters/tracers/etc. files to
> determine which port to report as.
>
> Switching to a system that depends on DNS to succeed will fail for all
> first time users, which is a penalty that will not be worth it. If someone
> can find a better way to determine outward facing IP address I would love
> to have it, but unfortunately networks are hard.

Seems like "hostname -I" may do this. The following is from the hostname
man page.

       -I, --all-ip-addresses
              Display all network addresses of the host. This option
enumerates all configured addresses on all network interfaces. The loopback
interface and IPv6 link-local addresses  are  omitted.  Contrary  to
              option -i, this option does not depend on name resolution. Do
not make any assumptions about the order of the output.

So could take first address "hostname -I" returns.

There is still the problem of the script choosing a bad IP address (i.e.
nodes have a mgmt network, public network, and data network  AND the script
chooses the mgmt network instead of data network).  Seems like the only way
around this is to provide a way for the admin to configure which interface
to use?

> On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 1:44 PM, Billie Rinaldi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
>
>> Good point.  I don't care if the init.d scripts work on a Mac.  I do care
>> about the other scripts, though.
>>

>> On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 10:32 AM, Christopher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
>>
>>> But... it shouldn't be a supported platform for init scripts... I
>>> imagine.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Christopher L Tubbs II
>>> http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii