Accumulo, mail # user - Getting the IP Address

Re: Getting the IP Address
Keith Turner 2013-08-28, 20:29
On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 1:54 PM, John Vines <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> We use this similar logic throughout a lot of our scripts for determining
> the external facing IP address in a portable manner, it's just that the
> init.d scripts are a bit more strict about it. This is the equivalent of
> using the name defined in the slaves/masters/tracers/etc. files to
> determine which port to report as.
>
> Switching to a system that depends on DNS to succeed will fail for all
> first time users, which is a penalty that will not be worth it. If someone
> can find a better way to determine outward facing IP address I would love
> to have it, but unfortunately networks are hard.

Seems like "hostname -I" may do this. The following is from the hostname
man page.

       -I, --all-ip-addresses
              Display all network addresses of the host. This option
enumerates all configured addresses on all network interfaces. The loopback
interface and IPv6 link-local addresses  are  omitted.  Contrary  to
              option -i, this option does not depend on name resolution. Do
not make any assumptions about the order of the output.

So could take first address "hostname -I" returns.

There is still the problem of the script choosing a bad IP address (i.e.
nodes have a mgmt network, public network, and data network  AND the script
chooses the mgmt network instead of data network).  Seems like the only way
around this is to provide a way for the admin to configure which interface
to use?