Kafka >> mail # user >> Kafka + Maven

Hey Guys,

I was talking with Jay, and he recommended I forward some feedback along.

I have been playing with Kafka 0.8 this week, and am feeling the pain in the lack of Maven support for it. Specifically, it'd be nice if this stuff were:

  1.  In Apache's SNAPSHOT repository
  2.  In some release repository.

I am pretty sure that you guys are aware that it'd be nice to have, but I think I'd like to elevate the priority to blocker, or at least pretty critical.

>From a community adoption perspective, it's really damaging to the project to not have it easily accessible in a repository. To be blunt, if I hadn't heard of Kafka (and didn't know you guys), and I came across the page, and discovered that it had no maven coordinates, I'd move on to other solutions without a second glance. To me, it looks as bad as having no commits for the project in months. It looks unmaintained.

If you look at what's already going on with the community, you'll see a lot of pretty rough things being done to try and get around this issue.

  1.  Storm has its own publication: https://clojars.org/storm/storm-kafka
  2.  SenseiDB has it committed in code, and runs a manual install. This makes it pretty rough if anyone DEPENDS on SenseiDB, as they, in turn, must do the same thing. https://github.com/senseidb/sensei/blob/master/sensei-gateways/pom.xml
  3.  Druid is hosting its own: https://metamx.artifactoryonline.com/metamx/pub-libs-releases-local/kafka/core-kafka/
  4.  It's been requested for more than a year: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-133

This is only going to get worse when 0.8 is released, as it introduces even more unmanaged libraries (metrics, zkclient). I assume, currently, that releasing 0.8 is not contingent on getting those libraries published, but I think it should be. This is worth doing correctly. I don't think it'll be fun, but I really do think it's a big deal.

Any chance we could get this on the road map soon? I think it falls under 2013 community adoption.

Thanks!
Chris