HDFS >> mail # user >> hdfs-nfs - through chokepoint or balanced?

+
Mark Hedges 2011-12-17, 00:07
+
Joey Echeverria 2011-12-17, 01:04
Re: hdfs-nfs - through chokepoint or balanced?
Joey is speaking precisely, but in an intentionally very limited way.
 Apache HDFS, the file system that comes with Apache Hadoop does not
support NFS.

On the other hand, maprfs which is a part of the commercial MapR
distribution which is based on Apache Hadoop does support NFS natively and
without the limitations that Joey describes.  Native NFS support is one of
many major feature enhancements that MapR provides.  Contact me off-list
for more details to avoid spamming this Hadoop oriented list.

You may want to address your question to the
http://answers.mapr.comquestions site.  I would be happy to answer at
length there.

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 5:04 PM, Joey Echeverria <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> HDFS doesn't natively support NFS. In order to export HDFS via NFS you'd
> have to mount it to the local file system with fuse and then export that
> directory. In that case, all traffic would go through the host acting as
> the NFS server.
>
> -Joey
>
> On Dec 16, 2011, at 19:07, Mark Hedges <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > Hi.  Sorry for my ignorance or if I missed the answer to
> > this question in the docs.
> >
> > Does HDFS NFS mount balance the load like it would for
> > regular usage from within a hadoop cluster?
> >
> > It splits up the files and moves them to the node nearest to
> > the NFS client?
> >
> > Or does all the NFS network traffic go through one node?
> >
> > Thanks for the info.
> >
> > Mark

+
alo alt 2011-12-17, 09:21