Hadoop, mail # user - Task tracker default-rack error?

Task tracker default-rack error?
Keith Wiley 2012-02-09, 22:11
On one machine, where a pseudo-distributed cluster works properly, the Machine column for the task tracker lists "/default-rack/[ip.address]" with actual numbers.  The links under the Task Logs column contain URLs by ip address (and port 50060) as well.  Everything works great.

On another machine, remote and on Tier 3, The Machine column simply says "/default-rack/localhost" and the links under Task Log likewise contains URLs by localhost and port 50060.  Clicking those links shows and error, but if I copy/paste the ip address into the same URL, the task log comes up just fine and I see the stdout output from my MapReduce program.

So, I don't know what is causing this.  It's tedious to copy/paste the ip address every time I wan to inspect the logs and everything else is basically working.  MapReduce runs, all of those log files are, in fact, available at the correct URL; it's just that the web UI presented by Hadoop insists on using local host instead of the ip address...and only on the remote machine.  On my local Mac it uses the ip address and works perfectly.

I don't think this is a FoxyProxy problem.  I'm not using FoxyProxy at all and I don't think I *need* to since, as I said, I can get to the correct URLs just fine; they simply aren't presented by the Web UI properly.

I don't see any seemingly relevant differences in the conf files.  Not only do I not know why the Tier 3 machine is showing the wrong URL, I don't even know why these two different clusters are showing different URLs at all; I can't imagine what is making these clusters configure differently in the first place.

Does anyone know what's going on here?

sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
                                           --  Galileo Galilei