Accumulo, mail # user - 1.5.0-RC1 Test release candidate

Re: 1.5.0-RC1 Test release candidate
Christopher 2013-05-07, 21:10
On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 3:56 PM, Keith Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 1:34 PM, Christopher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> I opened https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACCUMULO-1384 to deal
>> with the bin/config.sh bug. I still think the best option is to drop
>> version numbers from the filenames to simplify things a bit, but would
>> feel more comfortable doing that if more people were on board with
>> that.
>
> I am not opposed to the concept.  Are you thinking of doing this for 1.5?
> For 1.5 it seems like just changing the version in config.sh would be less
> likely to introduce into bugs the various scripts.   But I guess this change
> can not be automated w/ maven which has its own set of issues.  Since I am
> uncertain, I'll just go with whatever you think is best.

The change can be automated in Maven, but that does introduce
additional problems. The script would have to be a filtered resource
that drops the file into bin/, which means changes to svn:ignore,
.gitignore and RPM/DEB/TGZ packaging excludes. Moving this means the
file won't exist on a clean checkout, and that may be confusing to
people (related problems to the dirty workspace issues I want to fix
with ACCUMULO-935). Mostly, though, the problems are of the "developer
shock" type, as in "where did X file go?!". I really just want to
reduce complexity so we don't have to bother with this type of
developer shock or maintain the additional complexity in the build.
(but changing filenames, I realize, adds its own developer shock...)

>> Yes, the binary (dist) tarball is under the assemble module, because
>> of the way maven builds them. It's not the best solution, but it's
>> where Maven automatically puts them when it stages build artifacts,
>> and is unavoidable unless we do additional steps to rename the file
>> after staging (which we can still do, if necessary). It has been
>> suggested (Eric) that the "assemble" module could simply be called
>> "apache-accumulo" (distinct from our parent POM called "accumulo"), so
>> that the binary tarball would be named properly. I'm somewhat on board
>> with that idea for future versions, but not 100% certain it's the best
>> solution for the naming convention confusion.
>

> AFAIK, we do no thave to name the dir that comes from the tar ball
> apache-accumulo.  Seems like we should not worry about this for 1.5.

The concern isn't that it *should* be named 'apache-accumulo', I
think, so much as it probably *shouldn't* be named
'accumulo-assemble'.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii