Hadoop >> mail # general >> [RESULT] Release plan for Hadoop 2.0.5

+
Konstantin Shvachko 2013-05-14, 17:07
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-14, 17:40
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2013-05-14, 18:04
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-14, 18:10
+
Chris Douglas 2013-05-14, 18:22
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2013-05-14, 18:52
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2013-05-15, 07:45
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-15, 09:17
+
Chris Nauroth 2013-05-15, 16:31
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-15, 08:20
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-15, 16:50
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-05-15, 17:39
+
sanjay Radia 2013-05-15, 04:16
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 01:45
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2013-05-15, 05:47
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-05-17, 01:23
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-17, 04:10
+
Steve Loughran 2013-05-15, 00:50
Re: [RESULT] Release plan for Hadoop 2.0.5
Steve,
2.0.4-alpha is released.
--Konst
On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 5:50 PM, Steve Loughran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> On 14 May 2013 11:52, Konstantin Shvachko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Sounds like you are having fun, Arun.
> > 2.0.5 is explicitly in the subject line for this vote.
> > No worries I'll fix that.
> >
> > You should stop assuming - it's in nobody interests - and start reading.
> > --Konst
> >

> OK, I've been reading and have to say I'm confused.
>
>   "If the next release has to be 2.0.5 I would like to make an alternative
> proposal, which would include
>   - stabilization of current 2.0.4
>   - making all API changes to allow freezing them post 2.0.5
>   And nothing else.
> "
>
> This means, if my interpretation is correct, that
>
> 1. there is a new fork off 2.0.4-alpha which has a name like 2.0.4-alpha-1
> (as requested in JIRA), which will iterated until something ships, name
> potentially 2.0.5
>
> 2. All "features" since 2.0.4-alpha are out, but API stabilisation is in.
>
> 3. There is some agreed on definition of API which may include -but is not
> restricted to-: class signature, wire format, persistent data structures,
> semantics as defined by tests cases, semantics as defined by some
> formal/semi-formal specification, and the n-dimensional configuration
> manifold defined by the set of parameters read from -config.xml.
>
> Implications
>
> #1: there is/will-soon-be a fork in SVN of 2.0.4-alpha which is going to be
> released.
>
> #2: the RM and/or others have volunteered to pull in all the changes needed
> to say "this is frozen and stable" and if you code against it then its
> going to work for the duration of the 2.x line.
>
> #3: but not changes considered "features".
>
> Now:
>
> 1. What if there is a feature that is also an API change? How is the
> definition of feature vs non-feature going to be taken up?
>
> 2. If there is already a change between 2.0.4-alpha and the forthcoming
> 2.0.5-beta which is visible at the API level then these will have to be
> backport that so that its behaviour remains consistent over time.
>
> 3 If those changes in (2) are part of a feature by (1), then is someone
> going to have to tease out the bits that will be declared "stable, API" and
> not "feature, unstable"
>
> Help me understand,
>
> -Steve

+
Aaron T. Myers 2013-05-14, 21:39
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-14, 18:08
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-14, 18:12
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-05-14, 17:26
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-14, 20:15
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2013-05-15, 04:42
+
Steve Loughran 2013-05-15, 06:09