HBase >> mail # dev >> Re: [ANNOUNCE] Secondary Index in HBase - from Huawei

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Secondary Index in HBase - from Huawei
Andrew,

I don't think you quite follow.

Its not a straw man argument.

Its the same thing I've been saying all along.

You're probably slightly faster on the write, at the expense of maintenance and the reads.
Letting HBase do its own thing and manage the inverted table is a much lighter design.

On Aug 14, 2013, at 3:52 PM, Andrew Purtell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 8:45 AM, Michael Segel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
>
>> This isn't too bad if you're doing a simple query against one index. You
>> can do the work by RS and then join the results from all RS.
>>
>> However… what happens if you have two indexes and your result set is going
>> to be the intersection of the indexes?
>>
>> Or you're going to do a join between two tables using the indexes to limit
>> the result set?
>>
>> Now your design breaks down quickly.
>>

> You may have just described their design assumptions.
>
> I'm not endorsing this per se, but suggesting it is not a good idea on
> account it can't live up to the requirements of a pretty particular
> strawman seems a step too far.
>
> Maybe someone from Huawei can talk a bit here about successful use cases?
>
>> You could also look at Lucene which we did a PoC a few years back.
>
> A certain large technology company has an HBase full text index built on
> Lucene that might be offered as a contribution at some point. From what I
> know of it, there are a different set of tradeoffs and it certainly won't
> work for everyone, and not because the people working on it were not smart
> enough to find a silver bullet.
>
> --
> Best regards,
>
>   - Andy