Zookeeper >> mail # user >> Re: Efficient backup and a reasonable restore of an ensemble

On Jul 9, 2013, at 7:08 AM, kishore g <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Its not really elaborate, it is very similar to what zookeeper does when it
> starts up. It first reads the latest snapshot file and then the transaction
> logs and applies each and every transaction. What I am suggesting is that
> instead of applying all transactions stop at a transaction i provide.
>
> Having this tool will actually simplify your task, you can go back to any
> point in time. Think of a something like this.
>
> checkpoint A // this can store the last zxid or timestamp from the leader.
> Make changes to zk
> //if things fails
> stop zks
> rollback A//run this on each zk, brings back the cluster to its previous
> state.
> start zks // any order should be fine.
>

> Also keep in mind that snapshot is fuzzy only if there are writes happening
> while taking snapshot. If you are sure no writes will happen when you are
> taking the snapshot then you are good. Experts, please correct me if this
> is incorrect.
If there are no concurrent writes, then the snapshot will contain all zxids up to the one in the file name and that one will be the last. The problem is making sure that there are no concurrent updates... Would you tell all the clients to stop first? Keep trying until you get no concurrent updates? It sounds difficult, right?

-Flavio