Avro, mail # user - Apache Avro Encoding types?

Re: Apache Avro Encoding types?
Doug Cutting 2013-09-17, 17:23
Avro's primary encoding is binary.  JSON is useful for debugging and
for interoperability with other JSON-based systems.  The binary
encoding is much smaller and faster than JSON.  Avro data files and
RPC support only the binary encoding.

Doug