HBase >> mail # user >> Bytes.toString(value)) returns empty string

Bytes.toString(value)) returns empty string
I have a column that looks like this under hbase shell:

column=Request:placement, timestamp=1295593730949,
value=specific.ea.tracking.promo.deadspace2
In my code I have something like this...

   byte[] value = result.getValue(Bytes.toBytes("Request"),
Bytes.toBytes("placement"));

LOG.info("Placement in byte: " + value);

LOG.info("Placement in string: " + Bytes.toString(value));
The "Placement in byte" shows some value like this: [B@298488ef

But "Placement in string" returns empty string.

Any reason why?  Please help.  Thanks.