Hadoop, mail # general - [DISCUSS] Spin out MR, HDFS and YARN as their own TLPs and disband Hadoop umbrella project

Doug Cutting 2012-08-31, 16:00
On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 8:09 AM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J)
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am saying that the current members of the Apache Software Foundation's Hadoop
> Project Management Committee exhibit the characteristics (not just during
> discrete events; it's been happening for a long time) of folks who in reality
> shouldn't belong to the same project management committee. Note: this is
> NOT a bad thing. There are probably plenty of (sub-)sets of groups at Apache
> and elsewhere that folks wouldn't fit in to. I've enumerated some of
> those characteristics that you can see sometimes spill over
> (meta thought discussions about moving things around; or drawing arbitrary
> lines around pieces of code that really have nothing to do with technical
> stuff, and more to do about insulating and control;),

Hadoop's community is not perfect.  But the divisions in the community
are not primarily aligned with subcomponent boundaries.  A project
split will thus not likely fix the majority of these community
imperfections.  It may fix some, but ought to be pursued carefully so
that it doesn't cause more harm than good.

> but there are also other
> concerns such as frameworks put in to place (exclusivity amongst others)
> that themselves are pretty high indicators that this is an umbrella project.

The partitioning of committers has now been removed in a separate
vote.  Hadoop is not a classic umbrella project.

Doug