Flume >> mail # dev >> [DISCUSS] Feature bloat and contrib module

[DISCUSS] Feature bloat and contrib module
Hi all

Over the past few weeks, there were some discussions about including additional features in core flume itself. This led to a discussion about adding a contrib module. I thought I’d start an official discussion regarding this. The argument for contrib module was that there are too many components without generic use which are getting submitted/committed. The use-cases for such components  are limited, and hence they should not be part of core flume itself. First, we should answer the question if we want to separate components into a contrib module and why? What components go into contrib and what into core flume? What does it mean to be make a component part of the contrib module. Do contrib components get released with Flume? Can they break compatibility with older versions (what does this mean if they are not getting released?) etc. How supported are these?

Please respond and let us know your view!
Thanks,
Hari