HBase, mail # user - Possibility of using timestamp as row key in HBase

+
yun peng 2013-06-19, 20:04
+
Asaf Mesika 2013-06-19, 20:58
Re: Possibility of using timestamp as row key in HBase
yun peng 2013-06-19, 21:10
It is our requirement that one batch of data writes (say of Memstore size)
should be in one RS. And
salting prefix, while even the load, may not have this property.

Our problem is really how to manipulate/customise the mapping of row key
(or row key range) to the region servers,
so that after one region overflows and starts to flush, the write stream
can be automatically redirected to next region server,
like in a round robin way?

Is it possible to customize such policy on hmaster? Or there is a similiar
way as what CoProcessor does on region servers...
On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 4:58 PM, Asaf Mesika <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The new splitted region might be moved due to load balancing. Aren't you
> experiencing the classic hot spotting? Only 1 RS getting all write traffic?
> Just place a preceding byte before the time stamp and round robin each put
> on values 1-num of region servers.
>
> On Wednesday, June 19, 2013, yun peng wrote:
>
> > Hi, All,
> > Our use case requires to persist a stream into system like HBase. The
> > stream data is in format of <timestamp, value>. In other word, timestamp
> is
> > used as rowkey. We want to explore whether HBase is suitable for such
> kind
> > of data.
> >
> > The problem is that the domain of row key (or timestamp) grow constantly.
> > For example, given 3 nodes, n1 n2 n3, they are resp. hosting row key
> > partition [0,4], [5, 9], [10,12]. Currently it is the last node n3 who is
> > busy receiving upcoming writes (of row key 13 and 14). This continues
> until
> > the region reaches max size 5 (that is, partition grows to [10,14]) and
> > potentially splits.
> >
> > I am not expert on HBase split, but I am wondering after split, will the
> > new writes still go to node n3 (for [10,14]) or the write stream can be
> > intelligently redirected to other less busy node, like n1.
> >
> > In case HBase can't do things like this, how easy is it to extend HBase
> for
> > such functionality? Thanks...
> > Yun

+