HBase >> mail # user >> Customizing hbase shell's table formatting

Re: Customizing hbase shell's table formatting
In trunk, scan and get have formatting options.  If you do help 'scan', in
the middle you should see:

"...Besides the default 'toStringBinary' format, 'scan' supports custom
formatting
by column.  A user can define a FORMATTER by adding it to the column name in
the scan specification.  The FORMATTER can be stipulated:

 1. either as a org.apache.hadoop.hbase.util.Bytes method name (e.g, toInt,
toString)
 2. or as a custom class followed by method name: e.g.
'c(MyFormatterClass).format'.

Example formatting cf:qualifier1 and cf:qualifier2 both as Integers:
  hbase> scan 't1', {COLUMNS => ['cf:qualifier1:toInt',
    'cf:qualifier2:c(org.apache.hadoop.hbase.util.Bytes).toInt'] }

Note that you can specify a FORMATTER by column only (cf:qualifer).  You
cannot
specify a FORMATTER for all columns of a column family...."

Also, if you look in src, you fill
find hbase-server/src/main/ruby/shell/formatter.rb.

Check it out.  See how there are a few formatters therein.  Formatters are
responsible for outputting results.

There is a the base abstract class and then a Console and unimplemented
xhtml and json formatters.

You used to be able to specify an alternate 'formatter' to use on the
commmand line.

durruti:hbase stack$ ./bin/hbase shell --help
Usage: shell [OPTIONS] [SCRIPTFILE [ARGUMENTS]]

 --format=OPTION                Formatter for outputting results.
                                Valid options are: console, html.
                                (Default: console)

 -d | --debug                   Set DEBUG log levels.
 -h | --help                    This help.

My guess is this facility has rotted from lack of use but if you wanted to
hook it all up again, the ghosts of an alternate formatter might guide you
some.

Good luck,
St.Ack