Avro >> mail # user >> explicit schema verification?

Re: explicit schema verification?
Hi Yang,

If you use the new Builder interface in trunk you'll get a slightly more
helpful error message.  When using a record builder, if you invoke build()
on it and you haven't set some non-nullable field (and it doesn't have a
default value), you'll get an AvroRuntimeException with the message "Field
[field name] does not accept null values."  This feature hasn't been
included in an Avro release yet, but this might be useful to you in the
future.  Here's a quick example:

// The protocol:
protocol People {
  record Person {
    string name;
    int year_of_birth;
  }
}

// Using the Builder
Person.newBuilder().setName("James").build();  // will throw
AvroRuntimeException

That line would throw an AvroRuntimeException because the non-nullable field
year_of_birth was not specified.  The message in the exception would say
"Field year_of_birth does not accept null values."

We could perhaps have a new exception type that would be a subclass of
AvroRuntimeException and would be thrown specifically when a non-nullable
field is undefined, for example NonNullableFieldException.  That way your
code could catch only that exception type while letting other
AvroRuntimeExceptions propagate up the stack.  If you think this would be a
useful feature, go ahead and file a JIRA.  The code change would be trivial.

-James