HBase >> mail # user >> HBase cluster over multiple EC2 Availability Zones?

+
Otis Gospodnetic 2013-05-06, 17:37
+
Amandeep Khurana 2013-05-06, 17:41
+
Otis Gospodnetic 2013-05-06, 17:58
+
Amandeep Khurana 2013-05-06, 18:00
+
Otis Gospodnetic 2013-05-06, 18:00
+
Amandeep Khurana 2013-05-06, 18:06
+
Mike Spreitzer 2013-05-06, 19:18
+
Otis Gospodnetic 2013-05-06, 20:13
+
Otis Gospodnetic 2013-05-06, 18:47
+
Steph Gosling 2013-05-06, 22:26
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-05-07, 00:01
+
Jeremy Carroll 2013-05-06, 20:59
Re: HBase cluster over multiple EC2 Availability Zones?
We run multiple HBase clusters of various sizes, each is spread over 4 AZs.
 Yes, there is a definite write latency added due to replication, and yes
there is a transfer cost that is not negligible but I can't comment on the
specifics of.

Despite that though we use HBase as the primary datastore for multiple
online APIs and the sink for many hadoop jobs, and are able to keep total
response times plenty low for our apps.  Of course this is very specific to
our read/write patterns, etc, so YMMV.
On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 4:59 PM, Jeremy Carroll <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> We tried it. It did not work well. According to AWS, cross AZ latency
> should be ~1ms. In practice we have seen large variances. Also if you are
> using larger instances with placement groups, they do not work cross AZ as
> well.
>
> With this in mind we went the multi-cluster route, and kept all nodes for a
> cluster in 1 AZ.
>

> On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Otis Gospodnetic <
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Do people spread HBase clusters over multiple EC2 Availability Zones,
> > or is that a big no-no?  Cross-AZ communication is supposedly going
> > over fast fiber optic cables.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Otis
> > --