Hadoop >> mail # general >> DISCUSSION: Cut a hadoop-0.20.0-append release from the tip of branch-0.20-append branch?

Re: DISCUSSION: Cut a hadoop-0.20.0-append release from the tip of branch-0.20-append branch?
I also think building 0.20-append will be a major distraction from moving
0.22 forward with all the great new features, including the new append
implementation, sitting on the bench because we are delaying the release.
It seems to be beneficial for the entire community to focus on 0.22 rather
than chasing both birds.

I hear a concern that 0.22 will lack large scale testing as was the case
with 0.21.
I'd like to volunteer to put as many large scale resources, as I can grasp,
into stabilizing of 0.22. Under Nigel's management of course.
This should get us to production quality in 3-6 months rather than
"another 12-15". I also hope it can go even faster/better if others
could join the effort. I see > 100 companies claiming they are powered by
Apache Hadoop.

I also hope with this effort HBase will be able to start moving to the new
append implementation in the next 2-3 months, which in turn will help 0.22
HDFS
rather than divert resources from it as it would have be with 0.20-append.

Stack, will this plan will work for HBase survival?

One other thought. Apache Hadoop community is not in control of external
releases and distributions, but we should not fork our own releases by
introducing
competing apis. If we can keep the dev line relatively straight the external
releases
will follow.

Thanks,
--Konstantin