Hive >> mail # user >> non-string partition column types is it discouraged

non-string partition column types is it discouraged
I have a question regarding the partition column types in a Hive table. We
run hive 0.9.0 in a cloudera distribution and we're having issue trying to
connect to hive using the Cloudera Tableau ODBC Connector. I'm unable to
use a partition column of type int.

Trying to find a solution I chanced upon this link
https://reviews.facebook.net/D6537

It looks like non-string partition column types. Is this still the case and
if so why is that so?

Thanks for your response.

Kishore