HBase >> mail # user >> TTL for cell values

Re: TTL for cell values
> "I don't think anyone is well served by that kind of shallow analysis."
You're right, Andy; sorry if it came off sounding flip. My point was simply that the idea of a persistent data store with a configuration setting that makes the most current version of your data disappear without an explicit delete is very counter-intuitve for traditional database folks like me. Durability is the first, most inviolate rule, and this setting subverts it in a way that is (at least for me) not obvious at first, and differs drastically from the max versions setting. Maybe my confusion was due to the fact that I was looking for specific behavior (HBASE-4071, essentially). I totally see your point, though; putting it the way I did makes for a rather alarming pull quote. :(

I'm not at all suggesting we should alter the existing behavior (as if that were even possible at this point); this is a useful setting for data that's basically just a cache. But this is an area where the road from RDBMS to HBase might be a little bumpy for folks, and adding a new option would also have the advantage of making it even more clear what TTL is for.

Ian