Hadoop >> mail # general >> What's different of 1)namenode metadata 2)image and 3)edit logs?

Re: What's different of 1)namenode metadata 2)image and 3)edit logs?
NameNode metadata - is in memory data structures describing file system
structure (directories, files, and file's blocks).

NameNode image is on-disk representation of the metadata. (fsimage file).

Edit logs - is a journal that keeps all the events that cause changes in the
metadata and allows restoration in case of NameNode failure.

Secondary Namenode - runs checkpoints from time to time. During a checkpoint
edit logs are merged into metadata and saved to fsimage, which is pushed to
the NameNode.

Boris.