Hadoop, mail # dev - Re: [VOTE] introduce Python as build-time and run-time dependency for Hadoop and throughout Hadoop stack

Re: [VOTE] introduce Python as build-time and run-time dependency for Hadoop and throughout Hadoop stack
Matt Foley 2012-11-30, 01:51
>> Python as runtime requirement. Are you planing to migrate all
BASH scripts provided by Hadoop (or dynamically created -ie launcher
scripts) to Python?

I don't intend to mandate use of Python.  Rather, I want there to be a
cross-platform option available.  Things that are best done in
platform-specific manner, should be done in shell for linux, and powershell
for windows.  But things that are best done in a platform-independent way,
can be, with a lower long-term maintenance cost than using different
scripts per platform.

This means that some, but not all, existing scripts may naturally migrate
to Python as the overall system is ported to Windows.  Hopefully when
someone is porting a script that can be well done in a platform-independent
way, they will be able to choose Python and write a single script that can
replace the shell script and make it unnecessary to maintain two scripts
(doing the same job but in different languages!) going forward.

>>  What else in the current build, besides saveVersion.sh, you see
as candidate to be migrated to Python?

I have a greatly improved version of src/docs/relnotes.py that I would like
to submit, for auto-gen of release notes.
That's all that I have on my hotlist right now, although I anticipate that
some of the shell scripts invoked by ant may be natural candidates.

>> How are you planning to define what Python modules can be used?
Will developers have to install them manually?

That's something the community will work out, the same way they decide what
library jars to include, and when to upgrade those versions.  But first,
let's get an agreement in principle that this is the direction we want to
go.

Cheers,
--Matt

+