Kafka >> mail # user >> kafka.jar in repositories

+
Sam William 2012-05-25, 05:34
+
Bo Sun 2012-05-25, 07:30
+
lessonz 2012-05-25, 16:37
+
Jun Rao 2012-05-25, 16:46
+
Ken Krugler 2012-05-25, 17:16
+
Jun Rao 2012-05-25, 17:34
+
Ken Krugler 2012-05-25, 18:13
+
Sam William 2012-05-25, 18:28
+
Evan chan 2012-05-25, 18:43
+
Jun Rao 2012-05-25, 18:51
Re: kafka.jar in repositories
Hi Jun,

On May 25, 2012, at 11:51am, Jun Rao wrote:

> Ken,
>
> If you do ./sbt update and ./sbt package, you will find all the jars and
> ddls needed.

I see both scala-2.7.7 and scala-2.8.0 in paths when poking around for jars. E.g.

./project/boot/scala-2.7.7/lib/scala-compiler.jar
./core/lib_managed/scala_2.8.0/compile/log4j-1.2.15.jar

I'm assuming this is something Ivy is creating, when resolving dependencies.

But why are there two versions being referenced?

> The core Kafka project only depends on zookeeper, zkclient and
> scala. However, other contribs depend on a lot of more stuff.

Sure, but those contribs should be built into their own jars, and thus have their own dependencies.

And (I assume) Zookeeper is only needed for testing, otherwise it's essentially a "provided" dependency - somebody has to make sure Zookeeper is running, but that's not a "must be on the classpath" dependency.

-- Ken
> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Ken Krugler
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
>
>> Hi Jun,
>>
>> On May 25, 2012, at 10:34am, Jun Rao wrote:
>>
>>> Ken,
>>>
>>> We tried to do a binary release and ended up going through 10 RCs, mostly
>>> to sort out the license of all jars. We gave up in the end. One of the
>>> biggest problems is that we have contribs for clients in other languages,
>>> which introduces dependent libraries in C#, go, etc whose license
>> agreement
>>> is not totally clear to us. If someone can help out on that, we'd be
>> happy
>>> to do a binary release.
>>
>> If you send me the list of dependencies that the Kafka jar has, I could
>> help out.
>>
>> From the test project I created, it looks like kafka-0.7.0.jar depends on:
>>
>> - scala-library.jar
>> - zkclient.jar
>>
>> So for Java users (who'd care about being able to pull kafka from a repo)
>> are there any other dependencies?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> -- Ken

>> do