HBase, mail # user - Data Locality, HBase? Or Hadoop?

+
Jean-Marc Spaggiari 2012-12-03, 15:04
+
Kevin Odell 2012-12-03, 15:08
+
Jean-Marc Spaggiari 2012-12-03, 15:16
+
Kevin Odell 2012-12-03, 15:19
+
Doug Meil 2012-12-03, 15:45
Re: Data Locality, HBase? Or Hadoop?
Jean-Marc Spaggiari 2012-12-03, 15:53
Ok. I will try the major compaction then ;)

Doug, thanks for pointing to the doc! I now totally understand why
it's moved locally when the compaction occurs!

Thanks all! I will give that a try very shortly.

JM

2012/12/3, Doug Meil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hi there-
>
> This is also discussed in the Regions section in the RefGuide:
>
> http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#regions.arch
>
> 9.7.3. Region-RegionServer Locality
>

> On 12/3/12 10:08 AM, "Kevin O'dell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>JM,
>>
>>  If you have disabled the balancer and are manually moving regions, you
>>will need to run a compaction on those regions.  That is the only(logical)
>>way of bringing the data local.  HDFS does not have a concept of HBase
>>locality.  HBase locality is all managed through major and minor
>>compactions.
>>
>>On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 10:04 AM, Jean-Marc Spaggiari <
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm wondering who is taking care of the data locality. Is it hadoop? Or
>>> hbase?
>>>
>>> Let's say I have disabled the load balancer and I'm manually moving a
>>> region to a specific server. Who is going to take care that the data
>>> is going to be on the same datanode as the regionserver I moved the
>>> region to? Is hadoop going to see that my region is now on this region
>>> server and make sure my data is moved there too? Or is hbase going to
>>> ask hadoop to do it?
>>>
>>> Or, since I moved it manually, there is not any data locality
>>>guaranteed?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> JM
>>>

>>--