HBase, mail # user - HBase split policy

RE: HBase split policy
Anoop Sam John 2013-01-23, 06:17
>What will trigger the split?
The things which can trigger a split
1. Explicit split call from the client side using admin API
2. A memstore flush
3. A compaction

So even though there is no write operations happening on the region (no flushes) still a compaction performed for that region can trigger split.  May be in your case compaction happened for some of the regions and resulted in split...

-Anoop-
From: Jean-Marc Spaggiari [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 8:09 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: HBase split policy

Another related question.

What will trigger the split?

I mean, I merge all the regions in a single one, split that in 4 2.5GB
regions, alter it to set maxsize to 300MB and enable the table. I
don't do anything. No put, no get. What will trigger the regions
split?

I have one small table, about 1.2GB with 8M lines. I merged it in a
single region, and setup the maxsize to the 12MB. It got almost
split... All the regions got split except one.

Here is the screenshot: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/834/hannibalb.png/

It's not the first region, not the last. There is nothing specific
with this region, and it's not getting split.

Any idea why, and how I can trigger the split without putting any data
into the date?

Thanks,

JM